The Board of Directors of Middle East Medievalists (MEM) is pleased to request submissions for its biennial prize for the best book on the medieval Middle East (ca. 500 – 1500 CE). The prize will be awarded at the 2021 annual meeting of the Middle East Studies Association.
Below is a list of criteria for the upcoming competition:
- Books published between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2021 are eligible for this year’s prize.
- Books must be non-fiction scholarly monographs based on original research. Works not eligible include edited collections and compilations, proceedings of symposia, new editions of previously published books, bibliographies, dictionaries, textbooks, and surveys.
- Authors must be current members of Middle East Medievalists in order to be considered. To join MEM or renew your membership, please visit our MEMbership page.
TO NOMINATE A BOOK
Deadline: April 1, 2021
- Authors or publishers should submit a short letter of nomination (preferably in an email) noting the title, publisher, date of publication, and series (if appropriate) to the Chair of the Selection Committee, Najam Haider (firstname.lastname@example.org), by April 1, 2021.
- Send hard copies of the book to each of the four members of the Selection Committee (addresses listed below), postmarked by April 15, 2021.
If you have questions about the prize, please contact Najam Haider (email@example.com).
Mailing Addresses of Selection Committee Members:
Barnard College, Dept. of Religion
New York, NY 10027
48 Taunton Road
Scarsdale, NY 10583
4 Staverton Grange
129 Banbury Road
Oxford, OX2 7AJ
10a Eynham Road
London, W12 0HA